Wednesday 16 July 2014

My teeth whitening journey – A Hollywood smile in Adelaide

Investing in professional teeth whitening has always been on my list of things to do in Adelaide. Like most women, I have the tendency to obsess over my appearance and recently I saw a photograph of my smile that made me cringe. I suppose it has a lot to do with the magazines I see full of celebrities like Taylor Swift and Jennifer Hawkin with sparkling Hollywood smiles. Comparing their pearly whites with my off-white teeth, definitely doesn’t give me the confidence to flash my smile.

While I know my teeth aren’t bad by a long shot, there is a definite tinge to them that really bothers me. I’m guessing a side effect from all my herbal tea drinking (and I thought green tea was meant to be good for you!). After much agonizing in front of the mirror, I decided to book an appointment with my dentist. While there are heaps of DIY teeth whitening options out there, I didn’t want to take the risk on a home treatment. After speak to my dentist, I felt relieved for this decision, as she informed me that tooth whitening isn’t recommended for everyone. There are apparently a range of factors that need to be considered before whitening your teeth, which I had no idea about. These factors include the natural colour of a person’s teeth, issues relating to gum and tooth sensitivity and the presence of crowns, fillings and veneers.

While it is tempting to go to a beauty shop and get a cheap teeth whitening treatment, after talking to my dentist I really would advise you to spend the extra money and go to a dentist. Dentists are the only people that can safely assess if you are suitable for the treatment. Without the assessment, you could risk permanent side effects or other associated risks with the process. Luckily for me, my dental examination found my teeth were suitable to be whitened. From there the process was pretty simple, but a little bit messy! My dentist set to work making an impression of my teeth, so she could make the teeth whitening molds. The process involved a pink, putty like substance, metal mouth guard trays and my face getting messed up with the overflow of putty. After cleaning up my face and gargling water, it was all done for the visit. The next step was just waiting a week for my molds to arrive back from the lab.

To be honest, I was pretty excited to get my whitening kit so the week dragged on a bit. I just couldn’t wait to see the results of the whitening! Finally, the time came to pick up my whitening trays and bleach from the dentist. When I arrived, it was only a quick appointment where she made sure my molds fitted and then gave me a run down on what to do. I was then handed over the teeth whitening kit I had been waiting for, which included the whitening molds and holder, six syringes of bleach, Sensodyne toothpaste and Tooth Mousse Plus.

That night I excitedly pulled out my teeth whitening kit and set to work on my soon to be Hollywood smile. Like the dentist advised, I carefully squirted on a small blood of bleach in each of the teeth shaped places. I then slowly and carefully pushed the mold into place. With the choice of overnight bleaching or just for an hour, I opted for over night, hoping this would make results come quicker! When I woke up I eagerly jumped out of bed and pulled my molds out. On a quick examination they already looked a bit whiter! They did feel a little bit sensitive though, so as the dentist advised I brushed my teeth with the Sensodyne toothpaste and then coated my teeth with the Tooth Mousse Plus. This product helps strengthen your teeth and stop them from any stings associated with sensitivity.

Over the next few weeks I did a few more overnight whitening sessions and was very happy with the results. The bleach got rid of the tea stains that I was concerned about and left them looking a nice, natural looking white. Prior to whitening, I was concerned my teeth would turn too white, however as I was able to control. The only problem I was faced with sensitive teeth, however this only lasted the day following the overnight whitening. The Tooth Mousse Plus was often good at soothing this dull ache and by the next day I was fine.

For those thinking of rejuvenating their smile with Teeth whitening in Adelaide, I would really recommend visiting a Dentist. My dentist at Total Dental and Denture Care in Adelaide were fantastic and will provide you with all the information you need about teeth whitening at www.tddc.com.au.

1 comment:

  1. Choosing a family dentist is one of the most important healthcare decisions you'll make for your family. Here are tips to help you select the best dentist for your family's needs
    see more details:Invisalign Everett MA


    ReplyDelete